Personal Notes on Lawyers
• The Council on Legal Education Opportunity has named the law firm Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton as an inaugural honoree of the William A. Blakey Diversity Pipeline Architects group, comprised of law firms, corporations, associations, law schools and individuals who have played a critical role in the financial viability of CLEO. The recognition is in honor of the late William "Buddy" Blakey, CLEO's council chairman emeritus. CLEO is a nonprofit entity of the American Bar Association that aims to diversify the legal profession.
• Perkins Coie has added David Olsky in the firm's securities litigation practice in New York and Denver as a senior counsel. Olsky joins the firm from Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr.
• Michelman & Robinson has added Robert Piliero as a partner in the firm's commercial and business litigation department. Piliero was a shareholder at Butzel Long.
• Marjorie Peerce, a white-collar defense litigator and partner at Ballard Spahr Stillman & Friedman, has been appointed cochair of the sentencing committee of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. The committee examines sentencing policies and practices and focuses on revisions to the federal sentencing guidelines.
• Justin Angelo has joined Ballard Spahr Stillman & Friedman as of counsel in the firm's consumer financial services group. Angelo was practicing at the Fort Lauderdale office of Greenberg Traurig.
• Miller Canfield has added Gang Yuan as senior counsel in the firm's corporate group, focusing on global M&A transactions, foreign direct investment and regulatory issues, especially in the oil and gas industry. Yuan was at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, where he was counsel and head of its energy and natural resources team in Beijing, China.
• Kaye Scholer partner Laurie Abramowitz has been appointed chair of the firm's tax and private clients department. Abramowitz handles tax work for corporations, partnerships, individuals and tax-exempt organizations.
• Windels Marx Lane & Mittendorf has promoted to partner Christopher Dean, corporate, and Jeanine Margiano, commercial and real estate lending, municipal finance transactions and general corporate matters.
• Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo has added Jonathan Talansky as a member in the firm's tax practice. He was an associate at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett. Mintz Levin has also hired John Bae as a member in the firm's bankruptcy, restructuring and commercial law practice. He was a shareholder with Greenberg Traurig.
• Hughes Hubbard & Reed has added Sarah Downie as a partner in the firm's employee benefits and executive compensation group. She advises plan sponsors, employers, management and executives on compensation and benefits. Downie was a partner at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe.