Announcement Expected in Settlement of RNC Arrests
A settlement in the majority of the 500 remaining cases against the New York City Police Department over arrests at the 2004 Republican National Convention is expected to be announced at a Wednesday press conference, one of the attorneys associated with the litigation said Friday.
The settlement, which will include cash payments to plaintiffs and an award of legal fees under the federal civil rights statute, is the result of more than a year of negotiations between plaintiffs lawyers and attorneys with the Law Department triggered by Southern District Judge Richard Sullivan’s (See Profile) decisions on summary judgment motions in the case last year (NYLJ, Oct. 2 2012).
Among several rulings, Sullivan held that the police violated the U.S. Constitution with their mass arrest of marchers on Fulton Street on Aug. 31, 2004, but declined to grant summary judgment to either side on mass arrests later that same day on East 16th Street near Union Square.
Sullivan also ruled against the city by recognizing a private right of action for wrongful fingerprinting but ruled for the city in upholding the police decision to forgo the usual policy during the convention of issuing summons for disorderly conduct and other minor crimes.
Attorney Martin Stolar, who represents a number of plaintiffs in the case, said Friday that plaintiffs attorneys will hold a 1 p.m. press conference at City Hall on Wednesday.